Here are a few ways I would recommend to watch the Tree Lighting in Rockefeller Center:
- Perform in the ceremony on NBC (one of these days...)
- Camp out from 8:00 am.
- Somehow get yourself invited to a VIP party on the ice rink so you can mingle with Real Housewives, Yankees Players, and actors from"30 Rock" (I am currently jealous of a particular friend of mine who sent me the following picture of his front-row view).
I would not recommend taking the following steps:
- Leave work at 6:15.
- Get to 53rd and Fifth Ave at 6:45.
- Get trapped in crowds of people shuffling to the tree for a good half hour.
- Pretend you work in 30 Rock and need to get to the building to finish working (not my idea).
- Try to use your Rockefeller card that gets you 10% off at J.Crew as an ID to prove that you work in 30 Rock.
- Get questioned what streets the entrance is on that you need to get into.
- Answer "oh um Rock center" (again...this was not me).
- Get laughed at.
- Have the same conversation with twenty different security guards and members of NYPD.
- Realize you are not going to get close to the tree at all.
- Decide to go to TGIFridays for Potato Skins and large drinks.
- Notice the Potato Skins have 2070 calories and that they are trying to sell cheeseburgers for $18.29.
- Walk out the service stairs and almost enter the dishroom.
- Walk back up and down the correct stairs.
- Walk around in circles/crowds for another hour since half the streets are closed and you aren't allowed to cross anywhere.
|As close as I got before getting yelled at to "keep walking" by NYPD.|
I *would* recommend the following steps:
- Walk to 54th and 9th Ave.
- Go to El Centro.
- Order the Tropical Margarita and two entrees because you can't decide which to get.
- Fill up on chips and salsa.
- Eat a few bites of each entree.
- Take the rest home for lunch tomorrow (okay and for the next day).
- Walk home.
- Watch Glee.